There's only one choice for a fantastic holiday on Norfolk Island: Governor's Lodge
We offer amazing value for money with everthing on the property you could need - reception with tour desk, wifi, historic homestead restaurant, cafe, loungebar (all fully licenced), pool, heated spa and much much more.
Governor’s Lodge Resort Hotel History
the original 50 acre grant …
Governor’s Lodge Resort Hotel sits on land that was once part of an original 50 acre land grant made to James Dawe, a flour miller, soon after the arrival of the Pitcairners in 1856. The land grant stretched from Taylors Road to Middlegate (near the school).
Charles Christian, grandson of Fletcher Christian, purchased the land from Dawe when he departed the island and then Charles passed on the land to Emily, one of his 16 children. Emily married George Bailey who came to Norfolk in the 1860’s to work in the Melanesian Mission. This was one of the first marriages between the Pitcairners and an ‘outsider’ and it resulted in 6 children. The land was subdivided and seven acre lots were given to four of Emily’s offspring and this particular lot was given to her eldest son, Herbert.
Herbert and his wife Clara (nicknamed Sett) Bailey built a family homestead in the early 1900’s in time for the birth of their first son, George, in 1902. The homestead was named ‘Elouera’.
George’s son Bernie who lives today in Devon House (next door to us) spent much of his childhood in this home with his grandparents. Bernie says of those early days “It was a good life at ‘Elouera’, and while no one was terribly well off, we were better off than many. My bedroom was where the main room of the restaurant is, and the original kitchen was where the bar is today. So much has changed on the inside but the outside of the house is very much as I remember it all those years ago.”
The house remained in the family and for many years was the home of Herbert and Clara’s son David Bailey, the island’s postmaster. When David died in 1980 the house was purchased and occupied by other family members until the late 1990’s when it became part of Governor’s Lodge and is now known fondly as “Bailey’s” in honour of the Bailey family history attached to such a beautiful building.
the concept of a resort …
Mitchell Evans, a local Norfolk Islander, responded to a government policy change to seek expressions of interest in developing a new resort on Norfolk Island. Mitchell purchased two blocks, submitted his plans and later in partnership with Michael (Boo) Prentice purchased a third block. The land was amalgamated into one and the concept plans approved. As the development stage approached a building company in Brisbane purchased Mitchells interests and hence the resort construction as we know it today began in 2001.
During the construction phase it was deemed that the historic old Bailey Homestead should be restored to serve as Bailey’s Restaurant. Whilst many internal walls were opened up and new timbers line the resulting arches wherever possible the original pit sawn timber ceilings and walls have been retained. The verandah is constructed from limestone flag stones removed from the old jail at Kingston and the exterior panelling is from original timbers. This magnificent old building is a must see for all visitors.
In 2005 a syndicate of local residents mounted a successful bid to purchase the property. Committed to excellence and customer service the group has invested heavily back into the business with a dedicated refurbishment programme and the construction of a large shade structure to house the alfresco Cafe. The resort has been re-established as a leading accommodation property and in November 2008 was a Gold Award Winner in the Norfolk Tourism 2008 Awards as the best Deluxe Accommodation.
Communication and entertainment:
Comfort and security:
WiFi - various options
LCD TV in all the rooms
International satellite TV
On site night manager
Tea and Coffee facilities
Comprehensive set of cutlery, dishes, glasses